Winter preview time! It’s time to look at what has already came out this Winter and what else is on the way. Here are my most anticipated movies for December, January, and February.
Top 5 Most Anticipated Winter 2014-2015 Movies
5. A Most Violent Year, December 31st
– A movie based on the most violent year in New York City’s history? Yes please! Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain are the leads and it looks like it has a brushing of Goodfellas. I’m beyond in.
4. Wild, December 5th
– Trailer reminds me of a female version of Into the Wild, which is a movie I really enjoyed. Reese Witherspoon is fantastic for the most part, so hopefully that combination exceeds my expectations even at number 4.
3. Selma, January 9th
– Selma takes on civil rights at a time where we are unfortunately revisiting some of these same problems with police brutality on minorities. Like 12 Years a Slave, it will hopefully remind people how far we have came and how much further we still need to go. MLK is a strong person to portray and the story of Selma is powerful. Story and characters are there, just needs proper execution and I think we will get it. Strong award season movie.
2. Inherent Vice, December 12th
– Paul Thomas Anderson is a home run hitter for me. He doesn’t really disappoint and with another talented cast in this film, led by Joaquin Phoenix… I expect another solid, if not great viewing experience.
1. American Sniper, December 25th
– I love war movies. It’s a niche in film I can’t get enough of, so this is right up my alley. It’s the story of Chris Kyle, an American war hero, who is known as one of the deadliest snipers in U.S. History. I know his story going into it and I wish I didn’t but I still think it will be the best movies of the Winter season. Can. Not. Wait.
5 Honorable Mentions
- Big Eyes, December 25th
- Unbroken, December 25th
- Taken 3, January 9th
- Kingsman: The Secret Service, February 13th
- Hot Tub Time Machine 2, February 20th